People use marijuana for psychoactive effects and medical use. There are many methods to consume this plant but have you ever considered eating raw Cannabis? Edibles are the new thing in Cannabis consumption nowadays. This thing may cross the mind of some people. It sounds possible but the concern that some may have is its assurance of giving the psychoactive high.
Is Eating Raw Cannabis a Way to Get High?
Unfortunately, you won’t get high when you eat raw Cannabis. The reason is simple, and it is all about the compounds present in the plant. There are natural cannabinoids in it. There are hundreds of them, and they will all enter your body once consumed. They interact with the endocannabinoid system situated inside the body. The link between them triggers all the changes and kinds of activities in a person’s body. It can alter things like sleep, mood, appetite, pain perception, and more.
The cannabinoid that makes an individual high is THC. It is not readily available in raw Cannabis, so it’s the reason why you won’t get high taking it. But you can still get cannabinoids from it like non-psychoactive THCA. But it can turn into THC through the process of decarboxylation. It can be done by igniting the bud or utilizing the heat in a vaporizer.
Decarboxylation is the reason why edibles can get you high. But too much heat shouldn’t be used to avoid eliminating cannabinoids. It is done by people who want to avoid the harmful smoke to get into their lungs.
The other reason raw Cannabis can’t get you high is how THC enters the body. It goes to the bloodstream to reach the receptor. It’s not easy for the body to receive the cannabinoids. Some of them may just get into the digestive system and get expelled later on. It never reaches the bloodstream to activate its psychoactive effects.
Knowing that raw Cannabis can’t make you high is not the reason to stop you from eating it. There are various benefits you can gain from it like as a therapy, medical source, and a thing that can repair general health.
Why Would Eating Raw Cannabis Matter?
Three cannabinoids abound in raw weed. They are THCA, CBDA, and CBGA that all go with a carboxylic acid. THCA is not a psychoactive substance, but there’s a lot to it. Here are some studies connected with this substance, and the results are promising.
- There’s a study done in 2011 that inspected the cannabinoids found in weed. THCA is also on the list. It shows that this compound has anti-inflammatory properties, which can be used to alleviate some health conditions.
- A study in 2012 came up with a finding that both THCA and THC have neuroprotective properties. It implies that these compounds can promote brain health. This attribute gives weed the capability to resist dysfunction and the death of brain cells.
- Another study was done in the following year, 2013. Some cannabinoids, including THCA, show the function in slowing down the growth and spread of any kind of cancer.
These studies show a great deal of reason for some people who prefer eating raw Cannabis. Other proofs of THCA are published in some journals like as follows:
- A study mentioned in the British Journal of Pharmacology states that THCA has protective properties for the brain. Experts have noted this finding as it would contribute a lot to neuroinflammatory diseases and neurodegenerative ailments like Huntington’s disease. THCA can provide therapy in these cases.
- A study that examined the effects of unheated Cannabis is published in International Immunopharmacology. The researchers released a statement that THCA can curb the alpha levels of tumor necrosis factor. The effect can last for a long period. However, more studies are needed to confirm its effectiveness in the immune system.
- Another study appeared in the British Journal of Pharmacology about THCA. The subjects are rats and there’s a finding that the compound can possibly decrease the instances of nausea and vomiting. But this study needs to be conducted among humans to see if the result is the same.
Other Benefits When Eating Raw Cannabis
When seeing a raw weed, you may think of green vegetables like kale. You should know that they are packed with nutrients. Raw Cannabis is also like green veggie, and you can expect dietary fiber from it. It would help with thorough digestion.
Just like a green veggie, Cannabis is filled with a lot of nutrients and minerals such as folic or folate acid, calcium, iron, vitamin C, and vitamin K. It may be your first time to hear of it, but another amazing nutrient called anthocyanin is found in weed. It can boost your overall health. It improves vision, promotes a healthy heart, and strengthens the immune system.
Anthocyanin is responsible for the purple, blue, and red colors that you can find in vegetables like eggplants and cabbage. As you know, there are several purple marijuana varieties. So you can expect a lot of anthocyanin in those strains.
Ways to Consume Raw Cannabis
You can go ahead and add raw Cannabis to your salad. Grind the flower first so it would be mixed with other ingredients well. You can mix fruits and vegetables with it. It’s also possible to whip it up into a drink or smoothie. Having it in small pieces would make digestion easy. Don’t forget that it’s a fibrous plant.
You are not prohibited to incorporate it with other juices. You’re free to enhance or experiment on the taste. When blending it with other fruits and vegetables, you create a super healthy drink.
You would only need a juicer for you to work on the raw and un-decarboxylated weed. You can juice not only the buds but as well as leaves, plants, and other parts. Chop them roughly before dumping with other ingredients in your juicer.
Eating raw Cannabis is a method you can try if you want to get the health benefits that it offers. It can be a versatile way of consumption as you add it in any food that you take as long as your taste buds welcome it.